NewsHong Kong

Allegedly Torturing the Baby in Her Care, 33 Year Old Woman Arrested by Police

Indonesian migrant workers (PMI) who are tasked with looking after babies in Hong Kong must be careful. Don't suffer the fate of a nanny with the surname Chung who has to deal with the law.

Dimsum Daily reported that the 33-year-old babysitter was arrested on suspicion of committing violence or torturing a 9-month-old baby girl in Tuen Mun. As a result of the violence that allegedly occurred at one of the child care centers, the baby had to undergo intensive care at a hospital in Tuen Mun.

“Medical examination revealed blood clots in his brain and severe swelling in his left eye, raising suspicions of violence. "After a thorough investigation, the police arrested a 33-year-old babysitter surnamed Chung on charges of alleged child abuse or neglect," as reported by Dimsum Daily.

According to sources quoted by a Hong Kong online news site, the baby's parents sought temporary child care services through the Yan Oi Tong Jockey Club Community & Sports Center and hired a nanny who later became a suspect. A spokesperson for the Department of Social Welfare confirmed that Yan Oi Tong is a service provider organization in Tuen Mun district. The nanny completed early training and began providing services this month, with the baby girl being the first child she looks after.

"Currently, the baby girl is still being treated at the Intensive Care Unit of the Children's Department of Tuen Mun Hospital," wrote Dimsum Daily.

Sources indicate that both his parents are working professionals and have two daughters, aged four and nine months. The family of four lives in Tuen Mun district with a domestic worker who took leave in January.

Therefore, the baby's parents sought temporary childcare services and engaged a babysitter through the Yan Oi Tong Jockey Club Community & Sports Centre. The parents routinely took their daughter to the babysitter in the morning and picked her up in the evening.

On the morning of January 25, as usual, the nanny received the baby girl. However, in the afternoon, while bathing the baby, he noticed the baby was having a seizure, so he immediately notified the parents.

When they arrived there, the parents were shocked to find that their daughter was unconscious and immediately took her to Tuen Mun Hospital for treatment. Medical examination revealed blood clots in the baby's brain and severe swelling in his left eye, requiring immediate surgery and admission to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

His condition is currently critical. Concerned about the suspicious nature of the injury, the doctor reported the case to the police.

Responding to this incident, Yan Oi Tong stated that it was inappropriate to comment at this stage because the police investigation was ongoing. They guaranteed full cooperation and expressed deep sympathy to the family, wishing the child a speedy recovery.

See also: