Migrant Guide

BMI / Domestic Workers Guide

For foreign domestic helpers (PRT)

When will my visa expire?
When you arrive in Hong Kong, your passport will be copied stating how long you will be allowed to stay here. If you come to Hong Kong for a new work contract as a foreign domestic worker, your residence permit usually is two years. However, if you come to Hong Kong to continue your work contract after annual leave in the country, you must pay attention to the residence permit limit on your passport which the officer stripped on arrival.

1. Do not misunderstand and assume that the date contained in your contract is the end date of your employment. The correct deadline for stay is the one printed on your passport.

2. Do not violate the stipulated residence permit (overstay). You can be jailed and fined. You may also be expelled from Hong Kong after serving your term.

Re-enter Hong Kong
Non-permanent residents (including foreign domestic workers) in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, nationality of any kind and holder of a passport type
no need to apply for a re-entry visa (re-entry visa) to Hong
Kong if they return within their residence permit deadline and
the circumstances granting him a residence permit status have not changed.

Extending a work visa
If your employment contract has ended ("contract expires") you can apply for a contract extension with the same or new employer. Under normal circumstances, you must return to your home country after your employment contract ends and apply for a visa to return to Hong Kong starting with a new contract. You must complete a visa extension application form for foreign domestic workers [Form No. ID (E) 988A] and application for foreign domestic workers [Form No. ID (E) 988B).

If the situation does not allow you to return to your homeland waiting
new employment contract after the end of the old contract, by mutual agreement
with your employer, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit. You
must complete the visa application form / extension of residence permit for foreign domestic workers [Form No. ID (E) 988A).

Upon application, the extension of the residence permit is usually not more than one year which the Director of Immigration can grant by paying the visa extension fee. You must arrange for return travel to your homeland within one year of the visa period (without being subject to visa fees and the validity period according to the residence permit granted) to enter Hong Kong to complete the contract.

To extend your work visa you will need a letter from your employer and your original new employment contract. For details on this application, please see the “Guidebook for the Employment of Domestic Helpers from Abroad” [ID (E) 969] and “Quick Guide for the Employment of Domestic Helpers from Abroad” [ID (E) 989] issued by Immigration. Enter your application for an extension of your work contract visa within four weeks from the expiration date of the visa stated in your passport to:

Foreign Domestic Helpers Section, Immigration Department 6 / F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Residence Rights

If you are allowed to enter Hong Kong to work as a contract worker
or domestic workers, you cannot get the right to stay and get
Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. Change of residence permit from labor to
insured status is usually not permitted.

For Foreign Workers
If you came to Hong Kong as a foreign worker in a supplementary labor program, apply for an extension of your work visa or an extension of your stay (within four weeks of expiration) to:

Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section, Immigration Department
9 / F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong 11

For questions regarding immigration issues please contact:
Information and Liaison Section, Immigration Department
2 / F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: 2824-6111
Fax: 2877-7711
E-mail: inquiry@immd.gov.hk
Website: www.immd.gov.hk

If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from the Immigration staff
please contact:

  • The officer in charge at the place; or
  • Telephone the service unit on telephone 2829-4141 or 2829-4142; or
  • Writing to the Chief Immigration Officer (Management Audit)
  • by post to the address Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong; or
  • by e-mail at enquiry@immd.gov.hk

See also: